23.10.08

Shock and Horror!


I have always held The New York Times in high esteem considering that it is kind of "the" American newspaper, and I am a journalism student so we are kind of instructed to idolize it, but recently, I have been less than impressed.
I know that all newspapers are somewhat slanted, and the Times has a definite liberal bias, but recently it has been getting a little ridiculous. Amid headlines about the economy, China, and the two presidential candidate's differing approaches to foreign policy, stands this headline: "$150,000 Wardrobe for Palin May Alter Tailor-Made Image". Really? Is there honestly nothing else to talk about? I'm pretty sure that people expect their candidates to look good and if the Republican party, who shopped and paid for the clothes, is willing to buy them, then why shouldn't she wear them? Plus I am sure that Obama's suits cost just as much, if not more, than any of her outfits. I think there are much more important issues to be discussing, than how much someone's outfit costs, but apparently the Times is so set on smearing Republicans that they are willing to let things like Palin's wardrobe pass as front-page news, and ignore things like Obama's addiction to cigarettes and past drug use slide by. Now I'm not saying I am a McCain/Palin supporter, but I'd rather know if Palin, McCain, Obama, or Biden are ready to lead the country, not if they are ready to strut down a runway.

1 comment:

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

the point of those articles isn't to slander them for spending money on clothes....it's to slander them for breaking laws about how campaign money can be spent...and to point out that mccain used to be big on tightening the reigns on campaign spending on personal items. a bit hypocritical.