10.10.08

Ian "Browntown" Kershisnik




This summer was the last of many which I spent living with my family. Considering that we moved to Ohio last summer, ergo I had no friends out there, I had to become better friends with my brothers so that when I got home from work, I had something to do other than peruse facebook profiles of people doing internships or traveling to foreign countries during their summer vacations.
Enter Ian Paul Kershisnik.
Ian is my younger brother by a little over 3 years and when he was born I hated him and was not allowed to be left alone with him. I wasn't a particularly violent or mean-spirited child, but as an avid Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fan, I had learned that the best way to deal with a threat was to nunchuck it in the face. And I percieved Ian as a threat.
Somehow Ian survived his early years, overcoming the "subtle" haircut I inflicted on him and myself on a lazy afternoon when I was five and the many times we clashed over just about everything.
Yes we made it to near adulthood and managed to become friends somehow and here are some things just from the past year or so that I think are interesting to note about him:
Ian got the nickname "Browntown" in Ohio because he liked to wear Birkenstocks, brown khackis and a brown polo shirt to school.
He became obsessed with plyometrics last summer and could tell you how high anything was and if Michael Jordan could jump over it.
As a result he decided, at the age of seventeen, to get into basketball and he just started playing in pickup games at our Healthclub progressing to the point where he can now dunk quite easily.
He can make up hilarious songs at the drop of a hat and he has a particular knack for puns.
When we were in New York for a family vacation, he drank a 2 liter bottle of Fresca everyday because he decided a few years ago that he wasn't going to eat sugar and fake sugar tastes really good to him. Unfortunately Ian was not familiar with the fact that fake sugar in large doses has a laxative effect - some people have to learn things the hard way.
As a freshman at BYU this year, complete with a "disguise" care of Abercrombie and Fitch, to go to a BMW dealership to test-drive cars. And upon realizing his plan probably wouldn't work, he ordered a bunch of free pamphlets from BMW's web site and painstakingly covered everyinch of his dorm room walls and ceilings with pictures of cars.
This list is probably only one-one hundredth of the hilarious and odd things that Ian does, but I just was thinking about how I am glad I didn't suceed in pushing him out of our family when I was three, it would be pretty boring without him.

1 comment:

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

now jake is the only one who hasn't gotten a post about him. can you blog about cia agents?