19.9.08

I Made My Family Disappear

Sometimes when a professor gives me an assignment and says, "Do whatever you want," I feel like Kevin McCallister in "Home Alone" when he wakes up to find he is devoid of relatives and his declaration of "I made my family disappear," is saturated with panic and disbelief, but then an immature smile of fiendish understanding crosses his 9-year-old face and this time he says, "I made my family disappear," in a way that let's the viewers know that he is going to live it up, just because he can.
I'm not saying that my "free form" blogs are going to be intentionally useless wastes of time, but rather that, I, like Kevin, have come to understand and appreciate what it means to have the ultimate power of being able to do, or write about, whatever I want.
So I think my first blog will be about my birthday last week.
Although my birthday, and the pitiful excuse of not yet having Internet at my apartment are partly to blame for my forgetting to do blog posts last week, trying to weasel my way out of that assignment by shamelessly playing the birthday/poor, persecuted student with no Internet card will not be the subject of my post.
Now I have only been 22 for 6 days and I know that is still quite young, but whenever I get on campus I feel like a senior citizen. This year more than any other I look at my fellow BYU co-eds and think, "Oh my gosh! That kid looks like a baby." I can see them in their state of wide-eyed inexperience and know all the things that they will have to go through in order to become "ancient and wise" like myself. But then I realize, I am not ancient, and I am most definitely not wise, so why am I still cruising around BYU mingling with infants? Well it all comes down to one word, well one acronym actually; ADHD. Yep, whether you believe it's real or not, those 4 letter have been a blessing and curse to me all 22 years of my short, yet often painstaking life . . . and scene.
- More to follow next week.

No comments: